In this episode of The Marketing Plan Podcast, we interview digital marketing guru Rand Fishkin. Rand is well known in the SEO industry for starting one of the most popular SEO-related websites, Moz.com (he was formerly known as the “Wizard of Moz.”) But Rand has since moved on to start the audience research software company, SparkToro – and do LOTS of other things not related at all to SEO.
During this interview, we learn how Rand first got into digital marketing (hint: it involves his mom!) We also learn some key digital marketing strategies that will help your business grow.
Just some of these amazing (and Random) tips and strategies include:
- How to create an influence map.
- Why your job as a marketer is to concentrate on 1-3 media channels that make the most sense for you. (According to Rand, you need to combine your passion and interest and focus on the marketing channels where you can provide unique value that’s different than your competition.)
- The four types of research you should do to find out more about your customers and your competitors.
- Learn some great tools that you can use to find crucial data and information you need to gain insights about your audience.
- Video marketing strategies.
- Tips on where you should upload your videos – and YouTube is not always the best place!
- What the biggest mistake marketers are making right now.
- Why local business owners should be trying to get interviewed on podcasts – and how they can capitalize on those interviews to help their local businesses.
- Rand’s thoughts on retargeting and display advertising.
- Why you should focus on the marketing that you’re personally passionate about and you bring unique value to.
- And More!
Rand isn’t known for all his amazing digital marketing knowledge for nothing! If you want to up your digital marketing game and get ahead, this episode is one you should listen to. The depth and breadth of knowledge he shares is amazing!
Watch the YouTube Video of the Podcast Interview With Rand Fishkin
Rand and I had a TON of fun doing this interview! (I mean LOTS of fun!) I’d highly recommend that you watch the video on YouTube so you can see all the fun we had and how totally cool Rand is – for real! You can check out the video on The Marketing Plan Podcast YouTube Channel.
How to Reach Rand Fishkin
Rand Fishkin is co-founder and CEO of audience research software startup, SparkToro. He’s dedicated his professional life to helping people do better marketing through his writing, videos, speaking, and his book, Lost and Founder.
When Rand’s not working, he’s usually cooking a fancy meal for the love of his life, author Geraldine DeRuiter. If you bribe him with great pasta or fancy cocktails, he’ll happily pull back the curtain on big tech’s dark secrets.
Folks are welcome to sign up for a forever free SparkToro account at https://sparktoro.com/